Due to its versatility, performance and scalability, Mediasoup becomes the perfect choice for building multi-party video conferencing and real-time streaming apps.
BigBlueButton 2.4 release contains initial support for using Mediasoup instead of Kurento for handling WebRTC video streams (webcams and screenshare) and listen only.
Following are the benefits of MediaSoup in BigBlueButton 2.4:
- Reduces the load on system.
- Users can share webcam and screen much faster than Kurento.
- Helps us to avoid lots of WebRTC errors such as 1020 while trying to share a webcam or screen.
How to enable MediaSoup on your BigBlueButton 2.4
- If your server is behind NAT (otherwise skip to step 2):
Let $SERVER_IPv4 be your server’s public IPv4
yq w -i /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-webrtc-sfu/production.yml mediasoup.webrtc.listenIps.ip “0.0.0.0”
yq w -i /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-webrtc-sfu/production.yml mediasoup.webrtc.listenIps.announcedIp $SERVER_IPv4
yq w -i /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-webrtc-sfu/production.yml mediasoup.plainRtp.listenIp.ip “0.0.0.0”
yq w -i /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-webrtc-sfu/production.yml mediasoup.plainRtp.listenIp.announcedIp $SERVER_IPv4
- If you wish to enable IPv6 in mediasoup (otherwise skip to step 3):
Let $SERVER_IPv6 be your server’s IPv6
yq w -i /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-webrtc-sfu/production.yml mediasoup.webrtc.listenIps.ip $SERVER_IPv6
- Follow to control mediasoup usage on server and then sudo bbb-conf –restart
Config file path: /usr/share/meteor/bundle/programs/server/assets/app/config/settings.yml
Set signalCandidates value to false
Set mediaServer value to mediasoup
Set videoMediaServer value to mediasoup
Set listenOnlyMediaServer value to mediasoup
Our experience in using Mediasoup
We have observed the following Performance improvements:
- With 120 concurrent users and 3 webcams shared, we saw a CPU utilization 16%. This is far below than what we have observed earlier (though we are unable to give precise improvement in CPU usage because of the nature of comparison).
- Our users confirmed faster connections to webcam, screen share and Listen Only mode.